– In success, develop gratitude for those around us that made it possible
– In failure, see it as a stepping stone to better things and never lose hope
– In appreciation, develop an appreciation for those who offer kind words
– In criticism, find something constructive and relevant that you can work on
– In friendship, increase the mood of selfless service and never take others for granted
– In conflict, fight the ego and try to see from the perspective of the other
These all may seem like quite utopian reactions. It all makes sense on paper, but in the heat of the situation, things look quite different – other responses seem far more natural. However, to cultivate such disposition, means to nudge out all negativity from our consciousness. After all, negativity is like burning coal – as we hold it, ready to throw at someone else, we ourselves are burnt in the meantime.